To soak paper up to A3, without a bath, you will need:
– bin bag or large reusable plastic shopping bag
– a spray/mister OR a very clean sponge
– fresh water – don’t let the water sit in the sprayer for too long
– small squares or ‘tabs’ of paper, something 5cm x 5cm will do
Lay out the bag very flat.
– Mist or sponge the top of the bag with water – you can be a bit more generous in this layer
-Put a sheet of paper on top
– Mist or sponge a thin layer of water – if sponge, lightly press only, do not rub
TOP TIP: put a small ‘tab’ or square of paper on the bottom righthand corner, so the tab is half on the paper, half off the edge
– Put a sheet of paper on top
– Mist or sponge
– Add another tab, next to the first one
– Repeat putting sheets of paper on top, misting, and adding a tab
Mist the top layer of paper
If you have a second bin bag, or reusable shopping bag, lay this flat on top of the pile. Otherwise, you can also turn the it inside out, so the paper is snug in the bag. Put something flat and heavy on top – two books, a chopping board, etc. Covering the paper prevents the water from evaporating, and encourages even absorption. Preparing all your paper in advance means you can focus on the printing, without having to pause and deal with wetting more paper – especially good if you use waterbased inks that dry very quickly.